One Million Vehicles with Honda Sensing® on U.S. Roads
Honda recently announced U.S. sales of vehicles equipped with Honda Sensing® has reached the one million mark. This milestone represents a significant boon in automotive safety and new vehicle innovation.
The full Honda Sensing® suite of advanced safety and driver assistive technologies is designed to significantly reduce collisions and reduce the severity of those that do occur. Its features include:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS™) – can apply brake pressure when an unavoidable collision is determined
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) – can detect the presence of vehicles in front, activating audio and visual alerts to warn the driver if they are at risk of collision
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS) – can help bring the vehicle back to the center of a detected lane when unindicated lane drift is determined
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) – can adjust steering and braking if you cross detected lanes without signaling
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) – can maintain a set following interval behind detected vehicles as well as maintain a set speed
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) together with the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), has conducted a study on the effectiveness of Honda Sensing® . The agencies determined the prevalence of Honda Sensing® technology resulted in significant reductions in collision claim severity, claim rates for damage to other vehicles or other property, and claim rates for injuries to people in other vehicles or others on the road.
The IIHS study compared 2016 model-year Honda vehicles equipped with Honda Sensing® against Honda vehicles without Honda Sensing® features*. The study indicates benefits of vehicles with Honda Sensing® were slowed traveling speed for collision avoidance and even if a collision occurred, bodily injury and vehicle damage was reduced. Other significant study findings include:
- Collision claim severity is down $379 for the Honda Sensing® equipped vehicles compared to those without the technology
- Damage to other vehicles or other property claim frequencies dropped nearly 11 percent for the Honda Sensing equipped vehicles compared to those without the technology
- Injuries to people in other vehicles or others on the road claim frequencies declined about 28 percent for the Honda Sensing® equipped vehicles compared to those without the technology
“The data are clear. The role of Honda Sensing is reducing crash risk,” said Matt Moore, senior vice president of HLDI. “We commend Honda for rapidly expanding the application of this safety technology throughout its lineup.”
Honda Sensing® is currently standard on the 2018 Clarity Plug-in Hybrid, 2018 Clarity Fuel Cell, 2017 Clarity Electric, 2018 Accord and the new 2018 Accord Hybrid. The technology is also available on 2018 Honda Fit, Civic Sedan, Coupe and Hatchback, CR-V, Pilot, Odyssey and Ridgeline models.
Our Honda Dealership near Smyrna has a wide selection of new Honda vehicles equipped with this innovative safety technology. Please contact us if you would like to learn more.
*Honda 2016 model-year vehicles in the study include: Accord Coupe, Accord Sedan, Civic Sedan, Pilot 2WD and Pilot 4WD.